Thursday 1 December 2011

YaCy - Can anything replace Google?

Reading an article from the BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15935550) about the newly launched YaCy search engine got me thinking about whether a search engine will ever replace Google as the dominant search engine. My immediate reaction to YaCy was "no chance" - it relies upon people downloading software and installing it in order for it to advance its indexing powers, something that Google just seems to do. No matter how much effort this is for people to contribute to it, it is more than it "just working".

I look at other search engines such as Yahoo and Bing and think to myself over the last 5 years I have never used them, I always use Google. "Googling" something has become part of normal language, you don't search the Internet you "Google" it. It's just the same as vacuum cleaners are called Hoovers. In a bizarre way Dyson's are seen as the best kind of Hoovers these days!

With the simplicity of Google, the neat features it has gradually added to it like blogs, email, Google Reader etc I just can't see anything replacing Google as the de facto standard for searching the Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Covid-19 impact on mobile applications - a quick case study

Amidst everything that's been going on over the last few months, checking on how my apps have been doing has been low down my priorities...