Monday 12 December 2011

Android - Could not find HelloWorld.apk! - fix

So my first experience of Android development left me frustrated after getting an error trying to launch the  simple Hello World example!

Simple fix - basically when I set up eclipse I forgot to set the JAVA_HOME path variable.

The symptoms are this in the console:
[2011-12-12 22:37:05 - RoryHelloWorld] Android Launch!
[2011-12-12 22:37:05 - RoryHelloWorld] adb is running normally.
[2011-12-12 22:37:05 - RoryHelloWorld] Could not find RoryHelloWorld.apk!

The fix is simple. Open up your machines environment variables (in Vista it's Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables).

In System Variables add a new variable JAVA_HOME set to where your JDK is installed, e.g.

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_12\

Then add JAVA_HOME to your Path variable. I added:

%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%; to the end of mine

Restart eclipse for the changes to take effect, then the next time you run your app it should work!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Covid-19 impact on mobile applications - a quick case study

Amidst everything that's been going on over the last few months, checking on how my apps have been doing has been low down my priorities...